Covid-19 update from Wireless Nation
Last updated 05/04/2020
We are experiencing a high number of inquiries leading to longer response times. We are working as hard and as fast as we can and thank you for your patience during this time.
In the meantime, we urge you to:
- Check the help section on this website first
- Utilise self-service options in your online portal MyHub. You can find your username on your invoices.
- Please consider if your inquiry is necessary at this time
- Please do not send multiple inquiries for the same question, this just doubles our workload and slows us down
- Please only call us for the time being if you have an outage, otherwise please email us or create a ticket
- Be patient and kind, our team is doing everything for you that we can
Call centre hours during COVID-19 Alert Level 4
- Monday-Friday: 8am-6.30pm
- Weekend & Public Holidays: 9am-5.30pm (unchanged)
As always, our engineers will continue to monitor our network 24/7 to ensure all services are running.
Our latest fixed line plans (connected via fixed copper or fibre) are all unlimited. Unfortunately, unlimited is not possible on wirelessly delivered plans during the day time for reasons outlined further below. We have implemented the following initiatives to help you throughout the month!
RBI Wireless, NZMCA Data, Coastguard & Lifestyle
We have created an Emergency Discount Data Pack on our RBI Wireless, NZMCA Data, Coastguard & Lifestyle Broadband products.
- Emergency Discount 25GB Data Pack for $40
Unlimited* Off Peak Data usage between midnight-9am
We’re happy to announce that we can now provide unlimited* free data on RBI Wireless, NZMCA Data, Coastguard & Lifestyle Broadband plans during off peak hours between midnight-9am. The reason why this is possible is because wireless towers have capacity at these times.
(*we needed to put a figure for off-peak data into our system, so we set it to the virtually impossible to reach off-peak limit of 10,000GB, which is ten terabyte: 10TB).
This means from now on any data used between midnight-9am will not be counted at all.
NZMCA and motorhome customers: Wireless Nation also provide Fibre, VDSL and ADSL services to residential homes and businesses. Please check in with our team if you can get one of our unlimited plans at your address before terminating or placing your NZMCA Data connection on hold.
Optus Satellite Plans
All Optus satellite plans now also have a special data pack: “Emergency Discount 15GB Data Pack” for $50 (including GST) available.
The caps are there for two reasons: firstly, to prevent wireless towers from degrading performance when everyone uses it too much and secondly, we are paying infrastructure providers for over usage (data packs), too, therefore, we cannot sell under cost as this would be unsustainable.
Tips on managing data usage
- Most data gets used when video is streamed; consider setting streaming settings in Netflix, YouTube, etc. to a lower resolution, saving data. Also, be aware… Netflix and other streaming platform support says that if you use the casting icon they will always stream the video to your Chromecast or other device, even if you have downloaded that video to your device. The only way to avoid that is to download and then use screen mirroring options instead.
- If possible and available on your plan, use off-peak data to download movies onto your tablet or phone in off-peak times (midnight to 6am)
- Close down apps on your phone when it’s connected to the WiFi so they don’t keep using data in the background.
- Turn off automatic software updates on your mobile phone.
- Restrict iTunes and App Store downloads.
- Review all electronic devices that are connected via WiFi or connected to your modem.
- PlayStation and Xbox game updates consume a lot of data so turn off automatic updates.
- If you are working from home due to COVID-19, we suggest asking your company to reimburse you for any extra data required during the next 4 weeks.
New orders are being worked through in a timely manner. We are doing our best but please be aware some connections may take longer to get online due to wholesaler and rural installer availability as this is outside of our control.
Please note, during the Level 4 lockdown, Chorus stopped fibre installations if there is an existing or ready to use ADSL or VDSL connection. Faults are still being fixed.
Due to the high influx on inquiries, we will be prioritising faults and critical issues. Please be kind and patient while we get to your query.
For our business continuity it is important that our customers continue to pay bills on time. If needed, please try using government subsidies to prioritise paying essential services such as your internet.
We will not be able to make payment arrangements for thousands of customers, we simply do not have the resources. We have to pay our suppliers to be able to supply you.
We are a NZ owned and operated telco that pays local people rather than overseas call centers. Thank you for your support!
Wireless Nation has taken steps to make sure our service to you is not compromised by COVID-19.
Our core network is well set up with redundancy and plenty of head room for IP transit, both domestically and internationally. In regards to “tails” (the connection from our core network to you, our valued customer) we (like many other ISPs) are reliant on the respective infrastructure owner/provider we buy the “tail” from (Chorus, Enabled Networks, radio tower owners, etc.). We are in correspondence with them to ensure a best possible service delivery.
Being an innovative Kiwi telco, we are well equipped to work remotely and use technology to keep our business operating but please be aware that during this time we may take a bit longer to dispatch equipment, respond to tickets, pick up calls or get your new connection up and running.
The reasons for this are varying and could be from any one of the following:
- Significantly higher inquiry volume
- Staff might become ill
- Stock and supply chain being delayed with our suppliers
- Delivery times delayed due to courier availability
- Supply partner & wholesaler disruptions due to staffing
The safety and well being of our team and customers is our priority. We have taken steps to ensure continuity:
- We have given advice to our team about how to protect themselves from contracting Covid-19
- We have increased hygiene and cleaning regime in our office
- Majority of our staff are working from home, only essential staff for configuration and dispatch are in the office
- All meetings are done virtually
Our team is doing our best to serve you during these challenging times. Whilst we understand this is not an ideal situation, we are working through your orders and queries in a timely and measured manner.
During these times you can support us by checking frequently asked questions on our website or use our customer portal MyHub for adding data packs, adjusting auto-top ups, looking up data usage, invoices, your account balance or making payments.
We thank you for your continued patience, support and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience during this period.
Please stay safe, healthy and we wish you all the best during this difficult time.