Covid-19 update from Wireless Nation
Last updated 01/06/2020
Inquiries and support
- Check the help section on this website first
- Utilise self-service options in your online portal MyHub. You can find your username on your invoices.
- Please do not send multiple inquiries for the same question, this just doubles our workload and slows us down
- Be patient and kind, our team is doing everything for you that we can
Call centre hours
- Monday-Friday: 8am-8pm
- Weekend & Public Holidays: 9am-5.30pm
As always, our engineers will continue to monitor our network 24/7 to ensure all services are running.
Customer visits to our office, equipment pick-ups & deliveries
While we urge you to use the delivery option for equipment, you may also pick up your equipment if you need to from our office based in 2 Fred Thomas Drive, Takapuna, Auckland.
Equipment pick up process below:
1) You will need to advise an ETA by texting 022 639 1363 to within 30 minutes between 8.00am and 4.00pm (Monday-Friday) prior to coming to pick up equipment.
3) You will need to text 022 639 1363 when you have arrived and head up to Wireless Nation’s office on level 1.
4) You will need to fill in our contact register by scanning a QR code on arrival.
All visitors and customers must fill in our contact register upon arrival in the main foyer.
Deliveries: There may be delays on delivering your equipment to you due to the unprecedented demand on NZ Post and NZ Couriers. We thank you for your patience. NZ Post and NZ Couriers have noted the following:
- The level of demand is continuing
- They are working 24/7 in all distribution centers
- They are engaging the services of airport shuttles to increase the delivery capacity
- They are renting extra warehouse space
Our latest fixed line plans (connected via fixed copper or fibre) are all unlimited. Unfortunately, unlimited is not possible on wirelessly delivered plans during the day time for reasons outlined further below. We have implemented the following initiatives to help you throughout the month!
RBI Wireless, NZMCA Data, Coastguard & Lifestyle
Temporary Unlimited* Off Peak Data usage between midnight-9am
We’re happy to announce that we can temporarily provide unlimited* free data (until 30th June 2020) on RBI Wireless, NZMCA Data, Coastguard & Lifestyle Broadband plans during off peak hours between midnight-9am. The reason why this is possible is because wireless towers have capacity at these times.
(*we needed to put a figure for off-peak data into our system, so we set it to the virtually impossible to reach off-peak limit of 10,000GB, which is ten terabyte: 10TB).
This means you get unlimited data between midnight-9am.
NZMCA and motorhome customers: Wireless Nation also provide Fibre, VDSL and ADSL services to residential homes and businesses. Please check in with our team if you can get one of our unlimited plans at your address before terminating or placing your NZMCA Data connection on hold.
Here’s a help article on how to check your off peak data usage.
The caps are there for two reasons: firstly, to prevent wireless towers from degrading performance when everyone uses it too much and secondly, we are paying infrastructure providers for over usage (data packs), too, therefore, we cannot sell under cost as this would be unsustainable.
Tips on managing data usage
- Most data gets used when video is streamed; consider setting streaming settings in Netflix, YouTube, etc. to a lower resolution, saving data. Also, be aware… Netflix and other streaming platform support says that if you use the casting icon they will always stream the video to your Chromecast or other device, even if you have downloaded that video to your device. The only way to avoid that is to download and then use screen mirroring options instead.
- If possible and available on your plan, use off-peak data to download movies onto your tablet or phone in off-peak times (midnight to 6am)
- Close down apps on your phone when it’s connected to the WiFi so they don’t keep using data in the background.
- Turn off automatic software updates on your mobile phone.
- Restrict iTunes and App Store downloads.
- Review all electronic devices that are connected via WiFi or connected to your modem.
- PlayStation and Xbox game updates consume a lot of data so turn off automatic updates.
- If you are working from home due to COVID-19, we suggest asking your company to reimburse you for any extra data required during the next 4 weeks.
For our business continuity it is important that our customers continue to pay bills on time. If needed, please try using government subsidies to prioritise paying essential services such as your internet.
We will not be able to make payment arrangements for thousands of customers, we simply do not have the resources. We have to pay our suppliers to be able to supply you.
We are a NZ owned and operated telco that pays local people rather than overseas call centers. Thank you for your support!
Wireless Nation has taken steps to make sure our service to you is not compromised by COVID-19.
Our core network is well set up with redundancy and plenty of head room for IP transit, both domestically and internationally. In regards to “tails” (the connection from our core network to you, our valued customer) we (like many other ISPs) are reliant on the respective infrastructure owner/provider we buy the “tail” from (Chorus, Enabled Networks, radio tower owners, etc.). We are in correspondence with them to ensure a best possible service delivery.
Being an innovative Kiwi telco, we are well equipped to work remotely if needed and use technology to keep our business operating.
There may sometimes be delays in certain parts of the business such as responding to tickets or sending out equipment. The reasons for this are varying and could be from any one of the following:
- Significantly higher inquiry volume
- Staff might become ill
- Stock and supply chain being delayed with our suppliers
- Delivery times delayed due to courier availability and demand
- Supply partner & wholesaler disruptions due to staffing
The safety and well being of our team and customers is our priority. We have taken steps to ensure continuity:
- We have given advice to our team about how to protect themselves from contracting Covid-19
- We have increased hygiene and cleaning regime in our office
- We have a contact register for all staff and visitors coming into the office
- Some of our staff continue to work from home
- Most meetings are done virtually, however in person meetings (if required) will adhere to safe distancing measures and Covid-19 protocols
During these times you can support us by checking frequently asked questions on our website or use our customer portal MyHub for adding data packs, adjusting auto-top ups, looking up data usage, invoices, your account balance or making payments.
We thank you for your continued patience and support.
Please stay safe, healthy and we wish you all the best during this difficult time.